LOADS OF QUESTIONS
and answers from 'Faith Matters'
FAITH MATTERS is an interactive discussion programme on MTA International satellite television. The programme is designed to assist anyone engaged in the comparable study of religions to assess the standing and position of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.
Just click on any question to go to the actual programme and navigate to the time indicated.
(Page under development during the next few months as we enter all the Q&A's!)
(Page under development during the next few months as we enter all the Q&A's!)
- There is fighting happening in the name of God and people are suffering and it appears God is not intervening to help and the devil has full grasp. Does this suggest weakness of Allah? @ 36:25 secs.
- If God was to exist, would you not expect there to be a huge benefit to those who follow and obey him? Why do we instead see the opposite? @ 20:55 secs.
- Is there a point to life before heaven and is there a purpose of life here? If God wants the best for everyone, He could immediately place everyone in Heaven. @ 25:25 secs.
- Why do we assume that God is good? @ 45:50 secs.
- If God is all powerful, why does He permit people to suffer and children starve to death. @ 55:15 secs.
- If God does not need anything, then why did He create anything? if God does not need our services/worship, then why did He create Jinn and man to serve Him? If all other things worship God by living and following their instinct, why does God require man to do otherwise? @01:50 secs.
- If God is aware of everything that is going to happen or not happen (i.e. pre-destined), how can God then change His mind and do something else? if not, the He is not All-knowing? @ 11:00 secs.
- How can I explain the concept of the existence of God to someone who has a scientific way of thinking? If there is no compulsion in religion and it is based on entirely on personal faith, then does it not mean that it is impossible to scientifically prove the existence of God? @ 32:45 secs.
- What are the justifications of different attributes of God? @15:10 secs.
- If God provides sustenance for all living religions, as mentioned in the Holy Qur'an, then why do some people die of starvation? If the laws of nature and laws of Shariah are entirely separate and have no connection with one another (assumption), then how can it be claimed that death and ailment, economic or financial calamity or natural disasters are punishments from God. @ 45:00 secs.
THE HOLY QUR'AN
- What does guidance mean in the Holy Qur'an with respect to Kufr and acceptance of Islam? @ 08:35 secs.
- Commentary of verse of Holy Qur'an [21:86] "And remember Ishmael, and Idris, and Dha'l-Kifl. All were of the steadfast." @ 40:50 secs.
- With reference to the English translation of the verse Ch.3:V36, why was Mary suggested to be in the service of the church and not the synagogue despite being Jewish? @ 09:40 secs.
- With reference to the Commentary of the Holy Qur'an by Hazrat Khalifatul Masih II(ra) where it is mentioned that there are no less than 100,000 Adams and each prophectic cycle is of 7,000 years, does this mean that each cycle has its own Holy Prophet Muhammad(saw) and Holy Qur'an? @ 38:44 secs.
- What if Hadith says something that is against the teachings of the Holy Qur'an? @ 53:50 secs.
- Can you please elaborate on the Holy Qur'an Ch4 V.177) regarding Kalalah"? @ 02:40 secs
- Could you enlighten on the topic of combining prayers during religious events and Hadith/prophecy of Holy Prophet(saw) that this will happen in the times of the Promised Messiah(as)? @ 02:00 secs.
- During travel if compulsory bath is required for prayers but there is no convenient way to do bathe, can tayyamum be done instead? @ 44:50 secs.
- Could there be another reason why prayers don't
get accepted besides that the acceptance being not good for us? Does Allah
punish us by not accepting prayers? What is prayer of need? @ 23:07 secs.
- Does Fiqah permit the use of technology (online connection) for congressional prayer where the Imam and followers are not in the same room? @ 43:25 secs
- Is it not true that being part of a sect in Islam contradicts the teachings of the Holy Qur'an? @44:50 secs.
- Islam has just arrived here in the UK in the last 100 years. Why did it take so long and how will the British people be judged by God? @ 32:30 secs.
- Is it true that all people must convert to Islam or be killed? What is the real stance of Islam? @34:07 secs.
- In Christianity, it is said that belief in Jesus(as) means salvation. In islam, how do you know you will go to heaven? @ 2:00 secs.
THE HOLY PROPHET MUHAMMAD (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)
- Question about Holy Prophet Muhammad(saw)'s marriage with Hadhrat Zainab(ra), the divorced wife of his adopted son Hadhrat Zaid(ra). @ 59:50 secs.
- Who led the Janaza (funeral) prayer of the Holy Prophet (sa)? @ 55:30 secs.
- Question about the allegation of Hazrat Ayesha(ra) at the time of her wedding with the Holy Prophet Muhammad(sa). @ 23:00 secs
THE PROMISED MESSIAH and IMAM MAHDI (peace be upon him)
- Question about the writings of the Promised Messiah(as) – many Muslims became apostates at the time of the Holy Prophet Muhammad(saw). Where can this be found in the Holy Qur'an? @ 54:05 secs
- It was prophesied that when the Mahdi would come, there will be peace, but since according to your belief he has come, we have had a number of wars. How do you explain this? @ 49:50 secs.
- What is the need of the Imam Mahdi and why should the Imam Mahdi be acceptable to us when the Holy Qur'an is a complete Book and the religion of Islam is perfected? @ 07:30 secs.
- Can you prove that Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (peace be upon him) was the Imam Mahdi and a Prophet? @ 12:05 secs.
- Can you tell me why the Promised Messiah (peace be upon him) did not perform Hajj? @ 24:35 secs.
- In the Hadith, it is said that Son of Mary will come. Therefore how can we accept Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (peace be upon him) as the Promised Messiah. @ 30:45 secs.
- We know from the Holy Qur'an that Jesus(as) died a natural death. So how can we prove that the second coming of the Messiah (i.e. Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad(as)) is spiritual and not physical? @ 23:00 secs.
- With reference to the Urdu couplet by the Promised Messiah(as) "leave referring to Jesus son of Mary for better than him is Ghulam Ahmad." What is the meaning of this couplet? @02:10 secs.
- It is alleged that the Promised Messiah insulted Jesus(as)? @11:30 secs.
- In a vision, it is alleged the Promised Messiah(as) said he was God or claimed Divinity. Please explain. @ 10:30 secs.
- Was Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad(as) planted by the British? @ 21:00 secs.
- Question regarding the writings of the Promised Messiah(as) regarding the Holy Qur'an's impact on physical world/health. @28:55 secs.
- When an Ahmadi Muslim recites the Kalima, what does it mean? @38.00 secs.
- Where does the chain of Khilafat originate from that you refer to Khalifatul-Masih? @ 02:05 secs.
- Ahmadis claim this Khilafat is for the whole world but I have not heard of it from Afghanistan? @11:50 secs.
- Ahmadi Muslims believe Khilafat is eternal but we also believe prophets can come. if Khilafat is eternal, why is there a need for a prophet to come? @ 22:05 secs
AHMADIYYA MUSLIM COMMUNITY
- An atheist colleague has put forward some arguments that there is no God. I would appreciate your comments on these please. We pray sincerely knowing that when God answers sincere prayers, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways. Will anything happen? No. of course not. For example, if "everyone who asks receives" then if we ask for cancer to be cured, it should be cured. If God gives good things to those who ask Him, then if we Him to cure cancer, He should surely cure it, yet nothing happens. @ 01:40 secs.
- It is argued that people need to believe in God because without God, people will do bad things. Just because something is perceived as having a good consequence, if it is true, such a belief in God does not actually make it true. The fact that religiously free societies with proportionally a large number of atheists are generally more peaceful than otherwise, is evidence this perception is incorrect. However, this does not mean atheists are implicitly peaceful. Please comment? @ 34:45 secs.
- Book Review: 'Murder in the Name of Allah' @ 37:30 secs.
- Book Review: 'The British Government and Jihad'. @29:50 secs.
- Book Review: 'Islam's Response to Contemporary Issues.' @ 33:20 secs.
- Book Review: 'Absolute Justice, kindness and Kinship'. @ 31:22 secs.
- Book Review: 'Revelation, Rationality, Knowledge and Truth'. @ 31:35 secs.
- Book Review: 'The Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam'. @ 32:15 secs.
- Book Review: 'How to be Free of Sin?' @ 27:10 secs.
- Book Review: 'Our God'. @ 32:00 secs
- Book Review: 'The Need for the Imam'. @ 29:55 secs.
DEATH and PRE-DESTINATION
- If a person dies of an accident or a natural disaster or something bad happens to a believer, it is said that it was the plan of God and was for a reason and it is actually good. This pre-destined does not make sense to me and looks like it is all imaginary. Please comment? @ 12:30 secs
- My father who passed away has a lot of non-Muslim friends and relatives as he was a convert to Islam. When some of them visit his grave to pay their respects, they place flowers upon his grave which I recognise is a non-Muslim practice. What should be done as to not hurt their feelings as well? @01:50 secs.
DAY OF JUDGEMENT
HEAVEN AND HELL - (See below LIFE AFTER DEATH)
HUMAN RIGHTS AND ISLAM
JESUS (peace be upon him)
- A Christian friend claims that Jesus (as) never claimed to be a messiah in the Bible. This status is given to him by his followers later on. Can you please comment on that (the term "Son of God" is used for others as well in the Bible). @ 02:00 secs
- In the context of the Holy Qur'an, Jesus (as) is referred to as the Son of Mary (ibn-e-Maryam) but why not simply as Jesus (as)? @ 08:30 secs
- The Holy Qur'an presents the maternal grand-mother of Jesus(as) as a righteous woman who wanted to dedicate her child to Allah. In a book by the Promised Messiah(as), he mentioned about the grand-mother of Jesus(as) leading a promiscuous life. Could you please explain who is referred to here? @12:10 secs.
- In the context of the belief that Jesus(as) died at the age of 120 (according to Hadith), the answer given by Jesus(as) to Allah as recorded in the Holy Qur'an that he did not order his disciples to take him or his mother as gods besides Allah. Does that nor conclusively prove that Jesus(as) did not die at the age of 120? @ 16:45 secs.
- Discussion of the breaking of the cross and evidence put forward by the Promised Messiah(as) about Jesus(as) not dying on the cross. @ after 30:45 secs question answer.
- What is the true concept of Jihad? @ 49:10 secs.
LIFE AFTER DEATH
- Are their any limitations in heaven? @ 2:00 secs
- I do not think there is any concept in Islam of a man loving a woman other than his wife but is there any harm in wishing to marry a girl who could be your cousin or someone you know and is there any harm in praying that all the obstacles in marrying such a girl are removed? @ 02:35 secs.
- Why does Islam implore the virtues of marriage as the cornerstone to building societies of the future?
@ 37:15 secs.
MEDICAL AND MEDICINE
- What is Islam's view on organ donation after death? Is it not like mutiliation of the body which is forbidden in Islam? @01:50 secs.
- What are the benefits of male circumcision in the light of the Holy Qur'an, Hadith and scientific research? @ 20:40 secs.
- Question about IVF treatment and surrogacy? @ 02:05 secs
MONEY AND INTEREST
PARENTING AND FAMILY
- Major problem faced by young people today is the tension that exists between children and parents with children being over anxious and parents over protective. What guidance is provided by Islam for both parents and children in avoiding such situations? @43:00 secs.
- If the circumstances are that a wife works because she has a good career and the husband stays at home to look after the children, what is Islamic teachings regarding this? @ 41:40 secs
POLITICS AND GOVERNMENTS
- What political form of government does Islam approve of? Is the Islamic concept of state attainable? What are the human rights and freedom in Islam? @ 36:00 secs.
- The uprising of public against the governments in the Arab countries – what does it show from the Islamic point of view? @ 11:40 secs.
- What is the Ahmadiyya Muslim point of view regarding revolutions taking place in the Arab/Middle East states? Are these kind of protests allowed in Islam? @16:00 secs.
- What are your thoughts about those political powers that use religion to influence and control their people? @ 25:00 secs.
- Why did the Promised Messiah(as), the Founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, praise the British Government? @ 32:30 secs.
PROHIBITIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS
- Some Islamic websites claim smoking is haram. What is the Ahmadiyya Muslim view? @ 50:40 secs.
- What is Islam's view on homosexuality? @ 01:45 secs
- What is adultery and its punishment? @ 13:45 secs.
- If someone is inclined towards homosexual tendencies and fears that if it was revealed, they will be ostracised from the community. How can that determination be made and can tally with the slogan "Love For All Hatred For None"? @ 21:45 secs.
- Other religions allow people to have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Why does Islam not allow this? @ 27:50 secs.
- What is the status of surrogacy in Islam? @ 47:00 secs.
- Why is drinking prohibited in Islam? @ 53:35 secs.
- What is Islam's view on suicide? @ 27:55 secs.
PROPHECIES AND PREDICTIONS
- What were the status given to followers of previous prophets? @ 22:25 secs.
- Why does there seem to be a concentration of prophets from the Middle East? @ 56:35 secs.
- Was Prophet Adam(as) the first man on earth? @ 44:50 secs.
- Did Hazrat Adam(as) have parents? @ 41:10 secs
PUNISHMENT IN ISLAM
- Is there any punishment for apostasy in Islam (if a Muslim converts to another religion)? @ 01:55 secs.
- Is there any punishment for blasphemy? Salman Taseer, the Governor of Punjab province of Pakistan, was killed for raising his voice against blasphemy law? @ 09:45 secs.
- What is your comment on Pakistan's Blasphemy Law 296-C? @ 16:15 secs.
- What is the punishment for apostasy? @ 23:40 secs.
- Can Muslims (public) take the law into their own hands to implement any punishment? @ 28:45 secs.
- Was any Muslim punished by stoning to death according to the law of the Torah/Judaic Law (before the Holy Qur'an)? What is Islamic punishment? Was any amputation of hands carried out during the time of the Holy Prophet(saw)? @ 41:35 secs
- There are Ahadith (sayings of the Holy Prophet (saw)) to kill apostates and stone those who commit adultery? @ 46:35 secs.
- A non-Ahmadi friend says that it is permissible in Islam to kill someone who has sexual relationships outside of their marriage. What is the actual punishment of adultery in Islam? @15:36 secs
PURDAH, VEIL and CLOTHING
SATAN and DAJJAL
- What is the concept of satan in Islam? Is it a metaphorical way of describing the evil desires that man feels or is it an actual being in existence? @ 13:50 secs.
- Who made the devil and why? @ 51:10 secs.
- It is said the Dajjal will have long curly hair? What is the interpretation of that? @ 46:50 secs.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SOCIAL AND FAMILY INTERACTIONS
- Question asked about the issues of gay parents adopting children. @ 10:00 secs.
- Society these days accepts that being youth you are involved in social evils. I have seen smart students socialise most and they are also comfortable with wild partying, the clubbing culture and at times drink excessively and take drugs etc. Some of them also secure high profile jobs except a small minority. On the contrary, those who stay away from such a "wild culture" because of family or religious pressure get rejected in jobs because employers look for people with high social profile. Could you comment on these assertions? @ 05:18 secs.
- Islam teaches whether to forgive or punish someone who has done wrong depends on which method is deem best to assist in that person's reform. It also highlights the importance of maintaining the ties of kinship and not to sever them. However if a family member persists in bad conduct and causes them problems and despite several attempts to address that behaviour they do not accept that they have done any wrong and continue with the bad conduct, is it wrong to abstain from any contact with that person until they reform? @ 19:14 secs.
- As a diversity worker, I have to deal with people from different backgrounds including gays who are victims of homophobic crime. How can I help them and what's the best method to follow as I find it difficult to work with them because of my personal beliefs. @ 01:41 secs.
- What is the Islamic teachings about people who had pre-marital relationships regarding marriage and then becoming a good person and part of Islamic society? @11:15 secs.
- Is there any correlation between religion and violence? @ 50:00 secs.
- Do Muslims believe in ghosts and other super-natural beings? @ 30:10 secs.
- How are the terminologies soul, mind, consciousness, spirit, holy spirit, ghost and the holy ghost interrelated? @ 36:05 secs.
- Can you please explain the difference between spiritual vision and hallucination and how these two phenomenon are related? @ 31:55 secs.
VEIL – Please see heading above of "PURDAH VEIL and CLOTHING.
- With reference to the verse in Chapter 4: Verse 35, can you explain the term "chastise them" and what constitutes disobedience? @ 30:10 secs.
- According to scholars, if a woman initiates divorce (Khula), she has no right to any type of alimony and she is obliged to return her dowry. What is the Ahmadiyya view on this? @ 17:30 secs.